Wednesday, January 27, 2016

And the Sky is a Hazy Shade of Winter!

Simon and Garfunkel and the Bangles, a great combination while looking out on a dreary Detroit winter morning... anyway, I digress.

It's winter.  We haven't been hit like the East Coast, but its gotten damn cold. We've had snow and I've driven on several pieces of ice.  This is far more in the way of naturally created obstacles than I have dealt with in the last 3.5 years. And now how to run?  Do I still have any cold weather gear? Will I freeze to death?  After running in 110 degree heat, will I be more immune to frostbite?  The worries!

So far I have been able to handle teen's and a "real feel" of zero.  It sucks, but I'm determined to brave the Arctic chill.  I broke down and bought myself my first pair of running tights.  (I wear shorts over them) In the early going I found out that I had a compulsion to overdress.  The fear of the initial chill, was greater than my desire for the overall comfort of the entire run.  It's getting better, but I still have trouble keeping my hands warm all day. It's proof enough my body is not up to speed yet.

The finished product.
I'm reassured that all the ice and snow is gone, for now. It gives me hope that it won't stay like this. But I took measures to prepare for when its back.  Usually if you put tools in my hands, the worst will occur, but I am pretty proud of this DIY project.  I can't take credit for the idea, but I will take credit for the quality execution.  Basically, instead of buying something like Yak Traks or some other device for my shoes to keep traction in snow and ice, I just screwed in some 1/4" sheet metal screws.  They are short enough to not come through the sole, and the shape of the head, as I found out, does a great job at "biting" the ice.   Got out for about 3 runs with them last week, and it really made a difference.  Of course, I used my oldest pair of Hell Feet, for this.  No sense in messing with the newer one.

Like I said, I've been doing my best to brave the elements.  I got as far as January 22nd, before I broke down and joined a gym.  Close to the house, and just enough good treadmills to keep me occupied.   I think the grass is always greener on the other side.  And I've been on both sides of the yard when it comes to treadmills. I was not on one the whole 3 years we lived in Arizona.  And I thought it was great... it probably was. BUT because of that, I missed the handful of benefits that I see with Treadmill use.

1. The obvious, the ability to avoid the out side elements.


Moving.
2. Consistency, one thing we tend to knock, but does have benefit, is the metronome like nature of the machine.  If you set it at 8 minute miles that's what it will go at.  If you want to work on holding a tempo, a treadmill maybe the best tool in the arsenal.

3. It's an even surface.   While some would say, it could lead to overuse, which it could.  If you are currently dealing with a compensation injury, which I have been, running on a flat surface can take the strain off and help bring your body back into balance.

4.  Mechanical Motivation: Sometimes it hard to gauge if your holding pace on a road, trail, or even a track.  With a treadmill there is no question.  If you hit a button to slow down,  you know you quit on it.  Very black and white, and sometimes we need that.

Circular Logic Marathon's Profile PhotoBut with all these changes, training is going well. I am down 7 pounds since the holidays and workouts are getting easier. I am actually mixing in good speed work and not quitting on my long runs despite the FREEZING temps!  First race of the year will be the Circular Logic Marathon in West Lafayette, IN.  This race holds a special place for me in that its the site of my current marathon PR.  More to come!


Flashback to this time last year. Racing in the Sierra Estrellas. 






No comments: