Friday, March 14, 2008

Buffalo Calf Woman Revisited

Got out to North Dakota this week. God that it far. It looks just like what you picture when you think aboot where NHL players come from. Grasslands, Silos, open fields, lakes that freeze and Buffalo....
I stayed in Jamestown, ND, the Buffalo City... on my trail run I ran into an Albino buffalo, yes - white buffalo calf woman who gave the scared pipe to the Lakota, or Ogalala Sioux, or something like that.

The buffalo's name was "White Cloud" who gave birth to yet another white Buffalo, which is said to be a mathematical impossibility... so the calf named "Dakota Thunder" is better known as the Dakota Miracle... I was so moved when I saw it, that I wept. OK - not really but I did have conversation with a mother protecting its baby, it didn't like me talking to her, or being near her calf so she kept grunting at me, and looking like she was going to charge through the fence. So I headed back to the hotel and went out for a Bison Burger. Delicious!

The run was real good. Had to "post hole" through like 4 feet of snow at time, but it was 50 degrees out and there was a real nice 5K trail that ran along where the buffalo heard was kept. That's where i got to see the world's largest buffalo. Amazing. so next time you get to ND, be sure to hit Jamestown!



No comments: